Be nice, it’s very cheap.
“Few things in the world are more powerful than a positive push. A smile. A world of optimism and hope. A 'you can do it' when things are tough.”
- Richard M. DeVos
The reward is the warm feeling you get when you are truly nice with someone else. Don’t expect more.
“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”
- Leo Buscaglia
Would you like to earn the reputation of being a life changer? Would you like people to remember you with the good you have done in their life? To be so, you just need to make the effort to for it.
Greatness is about many occurrences. Leave a positive trace in many people life’s and you’ll be immortalize.
How can you be nice?
1. Smile: It may seems obvious, but so many people don’t smile. This will help to be taken as a nice person. Your smile needs to be sincere.
2. Make small talk: Don’t underestimate the power of asking how someone is doing. Again, be sincere doing so. Everyone knows if you are or not, and it will make all the difference. Small talk is the start when you want to build a relation with someone.
3. Be polite: Simple things can earn you a very good reputation. Opening the door for someone else, leaving your seat to someone, using mister and misses when you talk to someone you don’t know and using please - thank you.
4. Offer help: When you think someone need help, then offer to do so. A lot will not want it, but it will be taken as a very nice gesture to offer.
5. Use their name: Make the effort to remember the name of every people that is presented to you. Instead of apologizing because you forgot the name, it will become a very positive energy into this relation as you remember the name.
6. Don’t judge: Don’t judge people on their look. Take the time to know them a little before you choose to respond to them. Be nice to everyone, even the people who are not nice with you.
7. Be a good listener: People who can listen are seen as nice people. You’ll need to respect your agenda and learn to stop when you don’t have any more time to give to that person. You can set another meeting for later if that person still want to share with you.
8. Avoid gossip: Don’t play the gossip game. Be polite and let people know you don’t want to join in gossip. In the short term, people will see you as an outsider. And later, you’ll become the friend of everyone who don’t want their life expose to all. In the end you’ll win.
9. Share: All that you share will come back to you. It could come back in some other form, but it will come back. Share all that you possess. Do it with a sincere heart.
10. Treat and treated: Always treat people the same way you want them to treat you.
11. Try to see the other side: Do your best to see the point of view of the other. Placing yourself on the side of the person in front of you will help you relate to them.
12. Keep the mood light: When you have to be with someone who’s stressing you, try to light up the mood. Don’t enter the mood of the other, impose yours with some goof or jokes that will light it up.
Usually, nice people will get more invitation to join project and activities. When choosing between two people with the same qualities, we always go for the one we think is nicer.